Our high volume academic- and community-based practices emphasize a multi-disciplinary approach and use full-field mammography with tomosynthesis at each location. Hologic Selenia® Dimensions® mammography units at all sites are coupled with computer aided detection (CAD) software provide state of the art technology for our patients. Digital mammography, digital breast tomosynthesis, ultrasound, ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy, stereotactic and digital breast tomosynthesis-guided biopsies, breast MRI, MRI-guided core needle biopsies, and image-guided wire and non-wire localizations are performed. Screening, diagnostic and interventional services are provided at our two main Breast Centers (1 S Park and UW Hospital). Screening mammography and breast MRI imaging services are available at additional UW Health locations, and images are electronically transmitted to the UW Breast Centers for interpretation.
UW Health uses electronic medical records (Epic). All imaging is reviewed using Change Healthcare PACS. The Breast Imaging and Intervention Section is entirely filmless, with current imaging via digital technology and older screen-film comparisons scanned into PACS. We utilize Epic Systems’ Radiology Information System (Radiant), and all reporting is within an integrated breast imaging reporting module within Epic. Radiology-pathology concordance is determined by consensus and a multidisciplinary conference, and results and recommendations are integrated into Epic, allowing performance statistics, audit data, exam tracking, and data warehousing.
The Breast Imaging and Intervention Section is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment including:
- Thirteen full-field digital Selenia® Dimensions® (Hologic) mammography units with digital tomosynthesis capabilities
- Computer aided detection (CAD) software
- Four GE Logiq® E9
- Dedicated breast sonographers
- Nine GE MRI Systems:
- Five 1.5T (3 wide bore)
- Three 3T (3 wide bore)
- One PET/MRI
- 8- and 16-Channel GE and Sentinelle Vanguard™ diagnostic and interventional breast coils
- Invivo Dynacad Breast MRI Computer Aided Evaluation
- Stereotactic and Digital Breast Tomosynthesis-guided Biopsy: two Hologic Affirm upright biopsy systems (1 academic, 1 community site) with Suros Eviva® device. Hologic Trident Digital Specimen Radiography Systems
- Ultrasound-guided Biopsy: Vacuum-assisted (Suros ATEC®) and spring-loaded (Achieve®, Bard Marquee) devices
- MRI-guided Biopsy: Suros ATEC® device and Invivo Dynacad interventional guidance software