Five students involved in radiology fMRI research are set to receive Shapiro Awards for medical student research for the summer of 2010.
- Dovile Baniulis will be working on a project examining the impact of pre-procedural fMRI on morbidity and mortality in patients with vascular lesions.
- Nicole Kornder will be working on a project characterizing language lateralization in patients with vascular lesions utilizing fMRI.
- Natalie Htet will be working on a project comparing memory lateralization as predicted by fMRI versus Wada.
- David Huss will be working on a project examining the impact of pre-procedural fMRI and DTI on morbidity and mortality in brain tumor patients.
- Siarhei Vysotski will be working on a project characterizing factors influencing language lateralization in brain tumor patients utilizing fMRI.
The students will be co-mentored by Dr. Vivek Prabhakaran, Dr. Aaron Field, and Chad Moritz from Radiology, and Dr. John Kuo from Neurosurgery. They will be supported by others in the fMRI group including Dr. Veena Nair, Dr. Tom Gallagher, Dr. Ahmad Attasi, and Dr. Nila Alsheik from Radiology, Dr. Casey Madura from Neurosurgery, Dr. Elizabeth Meyerand from Medical Physics, MSTP student Bornali Kundu, Medical students Amy Utter and Joel Wood, and undergraduate student Jed Voss.