PG2 Admission and Application Criteria
- The individual has achieved at least average evaluations in all clinical rotations and in key pre-clinical courses.
- The individual has shown sufficient knowledge based on clinical grades and USMLE/COMLEX pass rates to be able to function at the level of a PG2 in this program.
- The individual has consistently had positive comments and no serious negative comments regarding their professional, ethic, and work habit skills.
- The individual has had training in an institution where the individual has developed sufficient knowledge of language and interpersonal skills as well as cognitive, technical, attitudinal, and professional skills to be able to learn radiologic interpretation and perform image-guided intervention.
- The individual has not had evidence of academic difficulty or a hiatus that has been too long to allow them to function in a clinical arena without demonstration of subsequent competent performance in a relevant clinical environment.
- Meets all hospital admission policy standards.
- Application materials should be submitted through ERAS at http://www.aamc.org/eras by the date before ERAS opens for programs, so the 4th Tuesday of September. Applications will be considered complete when we have electronically received the following items:
- completed ERAS application, including a brief (one page or less) personal statement indicating your goals and reasons for selecting a radiology residency (please indicate your level of interest in our program)
- three (3) letters of recommendation
- medical school transcripts
- USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX-USA Level 1 pass rate
- Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE – Dean’s letter)
Foreign Medical Graduates Admission Criteria
The Department of Radiology adheres to the UW Health Graduate Medical Education eligibility criteria for foreign medical graduates. Applicants who are not US citizens must acquire or currently hold one of the following to begin training at UW Health in an ACGME accredited residency or fellowship program.
- Lawful Permanent Resident (“Green Card”)
- Initial or continuation of a J-1 visa which is sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for the sole purpose of Graduate Medical Education training (you do not need to be fully ECFMG certified by application submission)
- Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
For additional information, please review the GME eligibility for non-US citizens document and visit the GME credentialing and conditions of employment page.
PG2-5 Transfer Criteria
- Recommendation from Program Director with a performance summary
- Summary of actual evaluations in prior GME program and list of completed rotations
- Full PG1 Application
- Explanation of reason for transfer
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- Letter from two GME supervising attendings
- Milestones Achievement Summary
Invitations to interview will be sent out no later than mid-October. Interviews are conducted November-January.
We interview for nine radiology residency positions, eight Diagnostic Radiology positions and one IR-integrated position. All nine of the radiology positions are advanced track positions, which begin at the PGY2 level following the completion of an internship year. Diagnostic Radiology offers four preliminary positions (PGY1), two with Internal Medicine and two with General Surgery, all at UW Health. IR-Integrated also offers one General Surgery preliminary position at UW Health. The preliminary years include 2 months spent with the UW Department of Radiology. You do not need to apply separately to the preliminary programs, and there is not a separate interview for the preliminary positions. You will need to rank the UW preliminary program at the time of your list submission on your supplemental rank order list if you are interested in attending your preliminary year at UW. When it comes time to create your rank order list, you can rank all, some, or none of our positions below as you see fit:
- Diagnostic Radiology Advanced Track NRMP Program Code: 1779420A0
- Diagnostic Radiology Internal Medicine Prelim year NMRP Program Code: 1779140P2
- Diagnostic Radiology General Surgery Prelim year NMRP Program Code: 1779440P4
- IR-Integrated Advanced Track NMRP Program Code: 1779416A0
- IR-Integrated General Surgery Prelim year NRMP Program Code: 1779440P5